Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Updates On My Leg Injury....

For those who are following the updates on my leg injury, I met with a surgeon today. I knew that my doctor was recommending surgery. Otherwise, I would not have been meeting with a surgeon. 

I learned today that my injury is quite severe and will require more than one surgery. It is also not something that I can put off for some time, like I initially thought.  My surgeon said I will likely be seeing him for a year and a half. I don't even really have time to process it. Surgery number one has been scheduled for next Wednesday and this surgery is NOT to repair my ACL. That will be the 2nd surgery.  

My first surgery will be to repair the other tendons and ligaments that are torn in my knee. This surgery will require a 3 month healing process. 

My second surgery will be to repair my ACL. I will not know until I wake up from my surgery if I have cadaver parts inside of me. I think I will forever be disgusted with my leg if I have to use body parts of a dead human to repair me.

I am just still trying to process all of this. 

I am trying my best not to let depression take over. I started the keto diet because I'm clearly not getting much physical activity this summer. I cancelled my gym membership because I'm obviously not going to be getting on an elliptical any time soon. I am looking in to other gym options that have pools because water aerobics will probably become my new workout routine. Eventually. But...of course with COVID I am not really comfortable going to pools or gyms or even having surgery right now. 

I still have people asking me stupid questions like:
1) are you hurt? .... nope, the crutches are just a fashion statement, I just found these things laying around the house and thought wow, these would look great with my outfit.
2) are you still on those crutches? ummmmmm..... obviously. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The results of my MRI -
1. Rupture of proximal ACL with at least 1.5 cm caudal retraction
2. Full-thickness rupture of the fibular collateral ligament mid segment with a gap measureing 1 cm. High grade posterolateral corner structure injury including rupture and cranial retraction of the biceps femoris tendon at its insertion, grade 2 sprain of popliteus tendon at its origin, grade 1-2 sprain of fibular collateral ligament, nonvisualization of the arcuate ligament suggestive of tear.
3. Incomplete, partial thickness tear involving proximal-posterior segment of the MCL. Grade 1 sprain of medial meniscus posterior meniscocapsular junction.
4. Impaction associated microtrabecular fracture of the medial femoral condyle and contusion of the posterior aspect fo the medial tibial plateau.
5. Ruptured Baker's cyst.
6. Focal class 3 chondromalacia areas of the patella and medial trochlea.





No comments: