Friday, March 26, 2021

Second Surgery Update

Yesterday I went in for my ACL reconstruction.  Below are pictures of the portion of the injury repaired yesterday.  This is hopefully my final surgery, and another step closer to walking normally! Hiking and photography are something that I definitely need my knees for! I can't believe that I have  been hiking and walking around with this injury! I'm so ready to be able to go back to the gym and starting physical therapy.  

My surgery went well & I am doing much better than I expected on day 1 post surgery. I'm able to to use crutches & only need the wheelchair for distances.  I can't dress/undress myself from the waiste down yet. I can't put on my socks and shoes. I am able to slip in to my slides and that is what I have been wearing. I'm not allowed to unwrap my leg until Sunday so I wont know what my scars are going to look like from this one.  I know that they used my hamstring this time instead of cadaver parts to repair my ACL so my hamstring is sore. 

I was super groggy and disoriented yesterday after the anesthesia and pain med overkill. I have managed to not take any narcotics since I've been home. I feel like I need a clear mind so my body can heal itself and my brain will know to send pain receptors to do their job. I feel like taking narcotics prevents our brain from doing their job. I'm not saying I wont end up using them at some point to manage pain so I can sleep or if the pain increases but for now I'm managing my pain on my own. 

I'm just taking this time to rest and heal because I go back to work on Wednesday! 






No comments: